Friday, August 29, 2008

Building Knives


Making knives is not the same as building knives. A true knife maker will forge or grind his own blades. Someday I will be able to stroll out to the barn and build a fire under the spreading chestnut tree and beat a piece of steel into submission.
.
Not soon, I'm afraid.
.
Until then I will remain a knife builder. I sometimes peruse the suppliers and when a blank blade strikes my fancy, invest a little money and some time to produce something like the above.
.
I built two of these right after the first Gulf War. One I sold to a SF officer who made appropriate slobbering noises and waved money.
.
The blade is 440 stainless and measures .221 thick. The length is twelve inches with the lanyard loop (covered with the grips). It has a diamond ground point that I find very pleasing. The Rockwell hardness is in the sixty to sixty four range. Blade length is six and one half inches.
.
The grips are Goodyear Neoprene held in place with micarta rods and lots of Superglue. The wrap of the grips is 550 cord with the core removed to make a flat ribbon of OD green nylon. It serves the purpose of survival cord, if you find a sudden need for rope. If you are desperate enough and need string it can be unraveled and tied together. God knows that would be really bad.
.
The sheath is nylon with a leg tie and a pocket for a stone. The blade is covered in hard plastic to keep the knife from cutting through the side and your leg.
.
The knife feels like you could cut up small cars with out hurting it much.
.
This is the one I pick up when I have that tactical urge. All it needs is a black finish.

No comments: