Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Short Guns I have known 2


.
This is the big daddy of the collection. A Dan Wesson .44 Mag with an eight inch barrel. This is reported to be one of the worlds most accurate handguns out of the box. That might be PR but they have some impressive stats to back it up.
.
I am by no means the best hand gun shot in town, but I'm better than most, and this gun is way better than I can make it perform. A ransom rest is needed to really put it through it's paces, but with practice I can hit a quarter sized bull at 25 yards regularly.
.
These pistols were manufactured with interchangeable barrels, they come with a clearance shim
and a barrel wrench. The cylinder to cone gap is adjustable as is the tension on the barrel.
Which brings us back to the design claims. Supposedly the barrel being under tension makes the vibrations that occur as a bullet passes through the barrel more consistent. Additionally the forward locking cylinder crane gives better alignment with the forcing cone.
.
When I bought the pistol, from a friend with a FFL, I picked it up late at night, and before work the next morning I returned it with a list of ten items I was dissatisfied with. He returned it to Dan Wesson who said they would do what they could. "What they could" turned out to be a trip to the company gunsmith shop for the full treatment, trigger, springs honing and smoothing the internal parts. The checkered hammer strikes a transfer bar, as you probably know this arrangement makes for a very safe weapon with the hammer down. Single action trigger pull is about three pounds, double is about ten. It is with out doubt the easiest to shoot of all my pistols. Dan and company believed in customer service.
.
This is a six round rumble of thunder. I scoped it at one time, but couldn't shoot it as well with optics (I know, old dog, new trick), so I went back to iron sights, so it will remain.
.
It may not be obvious, but the weapon is huge. It needs to be, recoil is impressive. If I allow
some one to fire it, they are required to wear a ball cap for the first few rounds, to ensure the vent rib doesn't split their head open. With a little instruction the cannon is easily controlled and somewhat pleasant to shoot, in an arm numbing kind of way.
.
It has Pachmayer grips and a red front sight blade. The sight blades are interchangeable.
.
Just in case anyone wondered, it is neither a concealed carry piece nor is it a home defence piece, that would be if you didn't care to shoot through the walls and hit a neighbor. Other wise feel free, if you miss, the concussion from the muzzle blast may knock your adversary unconscious or the muzzle blast might toast the critter on the spot.
.
They will for sure need a new laundry person.

No comments: