Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Desert Hazards

One of the things I find it hard to get used to here is the ubiquitous tumble weed. Many times you will see them huddled out of the wind in any lee, or huddled against a fence trying to be still. You may see one, or a hundred, rolling across the sage in a race to the horizon. They never make it, they wear away until they are too small to catch the wind, or disintegrate under your wheels. When the wind shifts all the hiding places become launching pads, and the piles become herds racing off to nowhere.

They do attack motorcycles. I was going to work this evening and saw a huge aggressive ball of sharp sticks about ten feet in the air fly toward my truck. He missed, but not by much. I can only imagine what it would do to me on my bike. Thank God for leathers. I’m sure I’ll have the rest of the question answered eventually.

No comments: