Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The first one


This was my first rifle, a Sears single shot made by Winchester. It now bears the cheapest .22 scope made, and doesn't get much use. I will say, however when I was twelve, the barrel never cooled off. It was, and is, the most reliable firearm I have ever owned. I learned to shoot carefully and attended to the basics religiously. Some of my contemporaries would take two boxes of ammo, that's a hundred rounds people, and bring home nothing. I'm sure those little semi auto rifles were a lot of fun, but I like game dinners. I have gone hunting with two bullets, and brought home two squirrels.


I think my Dad may have paid twenty five dollars for it.


I will keep this one until my son wants it, or someday his son.

1 comment:

none said...

Nice rifle. That will make a good heirloom.

I've got a 10/22 I feel the same way about.